Friday, April 1, 2011

This is my story - 54

54 – Bidding Farewell to family and friends

Life is not only a physical journey, but also a spiritual pilgrimage. People we associate with can have a great influence on us for good or for bad. We thank God for the many godly people who have made a positive impact on our lives. Looking back we praise God for His saving and keeping power. God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform. He uses His faithful servants to care for one another and help with spiritual development.

After serving as Salvation Army officers for twenty eight years in Singapore and Malaysia in Corps (church), social, training and administration, we received farewell orders to go overseas. A telegram arrived in the latter part of 1982 giving me my appointment as Officer Commanding of Hong Kong and Taiwan Command. This was followed by letters from the General and the International Secretary confirming my appointment and to my wife appointing her as the Command President of Women’s Organisations. It marked a new milestone in our lives.

Yes, soon we would add a new chapter to our lives. We were leaving home not without some apprehension as we thought of the awesome responsibility ahead of us. The people of Hong Kong were getting somewhat jittery as they approached 1997, the year Hong Kong would revert to China. They were fearful of the impending change. Many were fleeing the colony. We believe the Lord was sending us to support our comrades, assuring them that our God never changes. He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Our God is a covenant making and keeping God. Looking back I think of three covenants I made. Firstly it is the soldier’s covenant called ‘The Articles of War” which I signed as a teenager at the simple temporary hall made of wood and attap (thatched) at Martaban Road after the war. From that day onwards I threw myself wholeheartedly into the activities at the Corps. Yes, I had promised to serve Him till I die.

The next is the covenant I signed at the Training College just prior to being commissioned as an officer in 1954. In this covenant I pledged ‘to love and serve Him supremely all my days, to live to win souls and make their salvation the first purpose of my life, to maintain the doctrine and principles of The Salvation Army and, by God’s grace to prove myself a worthy officer.’ I believed and still do that I am called by God to serve Him as an officer till He takes me home.

Last but not least is the marriage covenant. By then we had been married twenty four years. My wife had always given me full support. In Corps (church) she took her turns to lead or give the message. She shared in the pastoral ministry, and focussed specially on women’s ministries. In Social Homes, she was mother to the children placed under our care. In the Training College, she helped me in teaching the cadets. Ours was a true partnership thanks to our covenant keeping God. He had brought us together and kept us together in partnership for the building of His Kingdom.

After nine years as the General Secretary, the longest appointment I ever held, our leaders felt a change was necessary. The thought of leaving Singapore brought sadness to our hearts. We had to leave our two older children, Gladys and Stephen behind.

Gladys had just started work as a piano teacher. She had to go to the homes of the students to teach thus spending much time travelling. Stephen was doing his national service and at that time received the allowance of only $90.00 per month. They would have to fend for themselves.

We thank God for The Army. Both of them worshipped at Singapore Central Corps and were very active in the various sections. Every Sunday one would play the organ, the other the piano in the meetings. Both were in the Songsters. Gladys was the Songster Organist. Stephen was a bandsman. We knew the Church folk particularly the Corps Officer (pastor) Captain Ruth Pascoe would be very kind to them and give them the support they needed.

Dora Poh Chin our special child was only thirteen, and being handicapped had to go with us. Major Moira Wright General Secretary of Hong Kong and Taiwan (formerly Social Secretary in Singapore) and good friend of ours had assured us that arrangements could be made for Poh Chin after our arrival. Deep in our hearts we knew the Lord who called us would made the necessary provision.

One of my favourite songs is No. 732 in The Salvation Army Song Book. The chorus says,

“I’m in His hands, I’m in His hands,
Whate’er the future holds, I’m in His hands.
The days I cannot see,
Have all been planned for me.
His way is best, you see,
I’m in His hands.” Stanley Ditmer

No comments:

Post a Comment