Monday, April 11, 2011

The sifting of Peter

Our Lent Bible study was on Peter. Jesus warned him about the fierceness of Satan's power. Satan would sift him as wheat. Peter failed miserably, but it was not a lasting or permanent kind of failure. After his denial of Jesus, he went out and wept bitterly (Luke 22: 61-62) The Holy Spirit brought to Peter's memory the words of Jesus, "I have prayed for you." They brought hope and comfort to his soul.Peter also recalled the instruction, "When you have returned to Me, strengthen your brothers."

Peter was the first disciple to reach the tomb when they were told that Jesus had risen. He was on the beach with the risen Lord when He said, "Peter, feed my sheep. Peter was there worshipping when Jesus was translated to Glory. Peter became a mighty preacher and missionary and leader of the church. We fail sometimes, but failure need not be final.

I am reminded of the song written by John Gowans in the musical "Jesus Folk"

Knowing my failings, knowing my fears,
Seeing my sorrow, drying my tears.
Jesus recall me, me re-ordain;
You know I love you, use me again.

I have no secrets unknown to you,
No special graces, talents are few;
Yet your intention I would fulfill;
You know I love you, ask what you will.

For the far future I cannot see,
Promise your presence, travel with me;
Sunshine or shadows? I cannot tell;
You know I love you, all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment