Monday, April 4, 2011

Envy

Many years ago (in the 1930's) as a child attending Sunday School at Balestier Corps (church) I learned this chorus which I've not forgotten.

"Root them out, get them gone,
All the little bunnies in the fields of corn.
Envy, jealousy, malice, pride,
These must never in my heart abide"

Envy is a feeling of discontent with regard to some other person's advantages, success, possessions, talents, gifts etc - an emotion that wells up in a person's heart when he sees someone in a better position. Low self esteem may be the cause. Envy and jealousy can ruin reputations, splits churches, break up friendships and even cause murders. Envy originates in the warped heart of man.

What triggered envy in the chief priests against Jesus? There were many reasons."They feared Him because the whole crowd was amazed at His teaching." Mark 11: 18. "They listened to Him with delight" Mark 12: 37. The chief priests could not bear the sight of the crowds following Jesus. The priests could not stomach our Lord's popularity.

The last straw was when Jesus entered the Temple and cleansed it by driving out the money changers, overturning the benches of those selling pigeons and doves. Jesus took a bold move against the established religious racket. Ah, it hurt their pockets. It disrupted their business and destroyed their profits during the Passover Festival.

Why did Jesus do it? The Temple was a house of prayer , but the priests had abused God's house by having a lucrative business. Jesus referred to "the den of thieves." Jesus wanted all people of all nations to worship without restrictions; the priests restricted worship to the rich, to those who could afford and willing to pay exorbitant fees for sacrificial animals.

That was our Adult Bible study for Sunday 3rd April. Our thoughts during the Lent season are focused on the events leading to Calvary.

Let us examine our own hearts and let the Lord speak to us. They may be things that we need to get rid of right now.

Search me, O Lord and know my heart day,
Try me O Saviour and know my thoughts I pray.
See if there be some wicked way in me,
Cleanse me from every sin and set me free."

1 comment: