Thursday, September 2, 2010

Silence before God

We are being bombarded by noise all around us. How I appreciate moments of silence.Let me pass on to you by Dietrich Bonhoeffer in "Life together."

"Silence is the simple stillness of the individual under the Word of God...We are silent at the beginning of the day because God should have the first word, and we are silent before going to sleep because the last word also belongs to God...'Seek God, not happiness' is the fundamental rule of all meditation. If you seek God alone, you will gain happiness; that is the promise... Prayer (ought) to be guided by the word of the Scriptures ...in the way we shall not become the victims of our own emptiness."

This is my favourite song (No. 567 SASB)

"Drop Thy still dews of quietness
Till all our strivings cease;
Take from our souls, the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess
The beauty of Thy peace"

We used to sing this chorus prayerfully before the opening prayer at our meetings.

"Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit Divine"

Be still and know that I am God Psalm 46: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment