Saturday, September 25, 2010

How do you pray?

Some years back I copied into my notebook a little humorous poem that teaches you can pray in any position:

“The proper way for a man to pray,” said Deacon Lemuel Keys;“
And the only proper way - is down upon his knees.”

“Well I should say - a man should pray with rapt and upturned eyes-
With both his hands lifted up,” said Rev. Brother Wise.“

Oh no, no, no!” Said Elder Snow “Such posture is too proud!
A man should pray with eyes fast closed and head contritely bowed.”

“Well it seems to me, that his hands should be austerely clasped in front
With both his thumbs pointing down.” said Rev. Dr. Blount.

“Last year I fell in Higgins’ well - Head-first!” said Cyrus Brown
“With both my feet a sticking’ up and my head a pointing’ down.
I prayed a prayer right then and there - the prayingest prayer I’ve said.
Stuck in a well that day a standing’ on my head!”

It is not the posture but the attitude of the heart that really matters. A man may kneel in prayer but still maintains a proud heart.

I can pray while waiting for the bus to arrive, I can pray sitting or standing inside the bus. I can go for a prayer walk and talk with God, my eyes wide open my heart turns to Him. I can sit quietly in my chair, or kneel beside my bed and commune with Him. It's my attitude that really counts.

"Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God Thy will to see,
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit Divine."

"Prayer is the sum of our relationship with God. We are what we pray. The degree of our faith is the degree of our prayer. Our ability to love is our ability to pray." Carlo Carretto

No comments:

Post a Comment