Thursday, July 29, 2010

Charisma & Character

I've been much blessed using the Love Singapore production - a 40 Day booklet of meditation on 1 Corinthians. If you do not have a copy, get one. It's not too late to start reading. You will not regret spending a couple of dollars and time reflecting on the messages. They are so well written by someone obviously living very close to God. It's one of the best devotionals available in Singapore produced in connection with our National Day celebrations.

Let me quote what the writer said, "It may come as a shock to you that people can work miracles with one hand and fondle sin with the other; cure the sick on Sunday and cuddle prostitutes on Monday. (Matthew 7: 22-23) Such things happened in Corinth. It happens today. Do we need reminding?

Paul's warning is no joke:

"One, charismatic manifestations do not prove that God is pleased with us.Two, spiritual privileges (even the sacraments) do not shield us from the judgements of God. Three, if you think you stand, mind your step! Don't dance on a razor's edge. Don't presume upon the grace of God. Don't confuse charisma with character."


Well said and timely reminder for us all. Listen to the words of Jesus.

"Knowing the correct password - saying 'Master, Master' for instance - isn't gong to get you anywhere with me. What is required is serious obedience - doing what my Father wills. I can see it now - at the Final Judgement thousands strutting up to me and saying, 'Master,we preached the Message, we bashed the demons, our God-sponsored projects had everyone talking.' And do you know what I am going to say? You missed the boat. All you did was use me to make yourselves important. You don't impress me one bit. You're out of here.' (Matthew 7: 21-23 The Message)

There's a lot of hypocrisy around. I need to examine my own life each day and let the searchlight of the Holy Spirit beam into my very being. Search me O Lord and know my heart today.

No comments:

Post a Comment