Monday, July 5, 2010

Celebrating Founder's Day at Balestier

We had an extremely busy Sunday. We began the day with Adult Bible class and I did Revelation - Message to the church at Smyrna. This is the eighth lesson in this series. I have been greatly blessed in my preparation and presentation of the Book of Revelation.

After the class, we joined the worshippers at William Booth Corps. We sang all the seven verses of the Founder's Song - "O boundless salvation" accompanied by the Band.It was great.

We left the hall just before the sermon started as we had to get ready for Balestier. We had a quick lunch, then Willy Lee of Balestier came for us at 1.00 p.m and took us to Bishan to join the Balestier folk in worship. Balestier is my home corps. I began my Christian journey at the age of five! So to me it was 'balek kampong' although not to the same location.

It was my privilege to enrol six new senior soldiers. I gave the message based on Luke 5: 1-11. The theme was "Launch out into the deep." The chapel was filled to capacity. And we sang the Founder's Song, again we went through the seven verses without a break.

We joined the folk for refreshments after which the Corps Officers, Captains Julian and Jane Wong took us to Tan Tock Seng Hospital to visit Mr. Wee Teow Kee an old friend of ours. He was a pre-war salvationist. During the Japanese occupation days (1942-1945) he worshipped at the Kampong Kapor Methodist Church and became actively involved in the church activities. After the war he requested to remain with the Methodists. The Salvation Army officer readily agreed to give him the transfer. He kept in touch with Army folk.

When we were stationed in Singapore (1970-1982) I was often invited to speak at Chapel Services at ACS, Barker Road, the school where Mr. Wee was one of the teachers.

In 1997 when my wife and I retired, we reconnected with him. We communicated with each other by e-mail.

Yesterday, after the meeting Captains Julian and Jane Wong took us to see him at the Tan Tock Seng Hospital. We sang to him the Founder's song - "O boundless salvation."So last Sunday, I sang this song three times!

I recall Mr. Wee used to tell me, "New friends are silver, but old friends are gold." How true! We sat and talked of old times. What a joy it was to meet Mrs. Wee and the daughter Constance as well. Lovely Christian people.

Sunday, July 4th - a day to be remembered. We had a great day, a glorious day. We thank God for the privilege to serve Him in this wonderful ministry. To Him we give thanks and glory. God has been good to us and each day when I get up in the morning, I thank and praise Him for another new day and affirm - "This is the day that the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it."

Balestier is now looking forward to the day when they will move back to Balestier Road and occupy the former Eye Hospital,(now under renovation) next door to the Seventh Adventist church. It will be near a big housing estate, plenty of opportunities to serve the people there. God has set before Balestier folk an open door that no one can shut!

No comments:

Post a Comment