Thursday, September 3, 2009

Visit to Chinatown

It’s been a long time since I last visited Chinatown to do my shopping. I took Bus 961 just outside our place and it took an hour to get to my destination, Clark Quay Station then to Hong Kong Street where I usually get my dried fruit, nuts, ikan bilis etc from the wholesalers. It’s so much cheaper than buying these things elsewhere. Besides, I always enjoy the walk around the area. It's a good form of exercise.

On the return trip I decided to walk to Stamford Road to take Bus 171. It’s a shorter trip home, but fares are the same. We senior citizens do get concession rate after 9.30 a.m. So shopping in Chinatown does save the dollars. During off peak hours, the buses are not crowded, so it’s quite relaxing to sit in the air conditioned buses and enjoy the scenery.

While I am still mobile I should make use of the pair of good legs I am endowed with. The day may come when I may not be able to move about like I do. By the way, I do carry an umbrella which doubles as a walking stick, as this helps me when I have to climb up the overhead pedestrian crossing.

At one of the bus stops I saw an elderly lady trying to get into the bus. A young lady behind her stretched out her hand to help her, but the old dear just pushed her away. That kind young lady must have felt embarrassed; her kindness was rebuffed. We all need to learn to be gracious.

It reminds me of another incident which happened many years ago in London, when an old retired Commissioner in her eighties sitting on the platform. She was about to stand up to give her testimony. She looked quite frail. A younger officer sitting nearby went to help her but she pushed him away. Help was rejected.

We senior citizens have spent our lives giving help to others now need to learn to be humble enough to accept help from others. Pride goes before a fall – that’s a reality we need to learn.

“There is a certain pride in man that will give and give, but to come and accept is another thing” says Oswald Sanders. Our Christian life begins from the point of acceptance of Jesus Christ and His gift of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment