Monday, September 7, 2009

Dr. Billy Graham and the word

Major Pascoe in her message given on Sunday morning made reference to Dr. Billy Graham and the word of God. She is doing a series on Ephesians and has come to the Armour of God. Her text was "Therefore put on the whole armour of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist... and the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God."

It so happened that during this week I was re-reading "Just as I am" - the autobiography of Dr. Billy Graham. I have a CD of his songs which I listen to often and receive much blessing doing so.

The Salvation Army was very much involved in the Billy Graham Evangelistic meetings held at the Singapore National Stadium in 1978. Amongst the converts who linked up with The Salvation Army was Tan Bee Yit. What a trophy of grace!

When my wife and I were stationed in Kuala Lumpur, we took part in the Dr. Grady Wilson Campaign. I served as the vice-chairman of the Executive Committee. Although the Kuala Lumpur Corps was still very new and not many members, we were very much involved in the campaign. It also helped to put The Salvation Army on the map.

I don't think Graham is respected because he is a brilliant speaker, evangelist, obvious leader, or has had great success in the growth of his organization. All those things are true. But what we all respect him is his integrity and his humility, more than anything else. Billy Graham doesn't draw attention to himself. In one of his biographies the author wrote about Graham's accountability to other men. He was always saying, "Brothers, what do you see in my life? What are the failures, what are the mistakes?" The author spoke of Graham spending time on his knees before the Lord, asking God's forgiveness for failure in his life and ministry, asking God to be at work through him as a leader and a preacher.

According to one biographer at one time or another in the fifty years of Billy's public life, both the Republicans and the Democrats asked him to run for vice president on their ticket. He was also offered roles in Hollywood as a young man, because he was so handsome and charismatic, they reckoned he would be a box office smash! Graham talked about the struggles he had with all of those offers, because he could rationalize, "Well, I could have more exposure for Christ, the gospel could be expanded."

But Graham was aware that the God who sees the human heart and who defines what success is would not allow him any of those opportunities. Billy Graham is somebody who for fifty years has given success in ministry back to the Lord and has acknowledged his total dependence on God for effectiveness.

I am no Billy Graham, but whatever I have accomplished or what man calls 'success or accomplishments' I give to God. I owe it all to Him whose grace has always been my sufficiency.

Billy Graham believes in the Word of God and his messages are based entirely on the Bible. It was in this context that the Major made reference to Billy Graham.

I thank God for the opportunity to conduct the Adult Bible class every Sunday morning. I pray daily that the Lord will grant me spiritual discernment in teaching the word and even more important to live out the Word in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment