Thursday, September 17, 2009

Down memory lane

When we retired twelve years ago, I was asked to take responsibility for the Archives. I gladly accepted the assignment. It was very challenging and interesting going through old records and putting facts together. I sorted out old issues of the War Cry and filed them in chronological order. I also spent a lot of time writing for the War Cry. I went through my old diaries, sorted out old programmes and went through many old files. I depended a lot on the power of recall. It was good memory exercise for me.

I did this on a volunteer basis and Lieut. Colonel Tan Thean Seng very kindly compensated me by allowing me the use one of the cars. It was a happy win-win arrangement. I used that red car till it was scrapped. (And by the way, I kept a log book and reimbursed the Army for personal use of the car.)

Then came the day when I was relieved of the responsibilities for the Archives and Jessie Kwong took over. In life there is always a time for everything - time to take on, and time to release. She has been able to continue doing research and has made a lot of improvements. She has done an excellent work with the Archives. She is very passionate about the Archives.

We keep in touch regularly and she sends me old photographs for us to identity places and people. We are glad we can still contribute in some small way to the archives. As age catches up with us and visits to clinics and hospitals increase in frequency it becomes necessary for us to reduce our involvement in Army or other activities.

Yesterday my wife and I had lunch with Jessie Kwong and naturally our conversation was on the history of The Salvation Army.

I recall the statement made by Will Durant ""Those who do not know history are forever condemned to repeat it." It is important that we know our history. A new book "Men in white" has just been off the press and already is going into the fourth printing! It's going to be the best seller. It is history of Singapore that all Singaporeans should read.

Salvationists should know our Salvation Army history. I was only three years old when the Army began in Singapore in 1935. At the age of five I began my association with the Army till today, except for the three and half years during the Japanese occupation. I am writing my autobiography, but at the moment have not decided whether to blog it or not. Certainly when it is completed it will be sent to the Army archives and be kept for posterity. Our lives are closely intertwined with The Salvation Army so in a way it is part of our Army history.

As I reflect on the past, walking down Memory Lane I give thanks to God for His saving and keeping power. The Lord has done great things for us for which we are glad. To Him be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment