Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Python in the compound

My wife and I wake up everyday at 5.30 a.m. and we go for our morning walk at 6.00 a.m. in the compound. During the week we had an unusual experience.

A man walking briskly and obviously excited or frightened shouted out to me that there was a snake in the compound. I then met the security guard who confirmed there was a python and he wanted me to see it. Well frankly I was scared but he insisted it was all right so I put on a brave front and went with him. He carried a torch light and led the way. I followed a little distance behind him. He then shone his torch and believe it or not, I saw a six or seven foot python lying on the cement walkway!

This python had swallowed a cat and was too lethargic to move. The security guard had already informed the police who were on the way. I didn’t stay to watch as I did not know how long it would take the police to come.

I was told that some months back, the python, probably the same one was seen in our compound. The police was informed, but somehow did not come, so someone, probably a security guard took a stone, threw at the python which then regurgitated its victim, a black cat, dead of course! Then it quietly slithered away still hungry.

Anyway I was told later that the police did come this time and took the python away. There was no struggle. I suppose the unwelcome visitor to The Salvation Army compound is now enjoying the company of other pythons at the Singapore Zoo. I wonder if any of its relatives are still around.

Now my wife and I make sure we keep an eye on possible unwelcome visitors to our compound. We don’t want to end up in a python’s stomach!

I’ve been thinking – we don’t normally go out of our way looking for snakes do we? We take it for granted that we live in a safe environment. Well, if we walk in Christ’s ways we will certainly encounter some snakes. Satan himself is pictured as a snake. I wonder was Eve doing her morning exercise when she encountered the snake?

Come to think of it, the devil does come into our compound, yes, even into our church at times! Let’s be watchful and vigilant!

No comments:

Post a Comment