Tuesday, August 18, 2009

National Day Thanksgiving Service

I went with the Cadets and Major Pascoe to the National Day Thanksgiving Service organised by the National Council of Churches of Singapore. It was held at St. Andrew’s Cathedral on Monday 17th August. A number of officers were present.

I had not been to the Cathedral for a long time. It was great to see the familiar place again and to worship in the new wing with fellow believers belonging to other denominations.

The participating musical groups were – St. Thomas Orthodox Cathedral Choir, Breakthrough Missions Pte Ltd and Wesley Ensemble and Friends. We were ushered to sit quite near the front on the third row. I sat quite close to the band and how I wished I could be one of the players!

Various church leaders including our Territorial Commander Colonel Keith Burridge took part. The President of the National Council of Churches, Bishop John Chew who is also the Anglican Bishop gave the message. The theme was “The Life much needed.” He based his sermon on the Beatitudes and put much emphasis on Christians being salt of the earth and light to the world. It is good to be reminded of the blessings we are enjoying and at the same time to be challenged concerning our responsibility to our nation.

The meeting was rather long – from 7.45 p.m. to about 10.00 p.m. But it was a good service and those who were present were blessed. It was well worth making effort and spending time in worship and fellowship with fellow Christians. A few Members of Parliament were present.

When I was the General Secretary here ( 1973-1982) I represented The Salvation Army in a number of organisations such as Bible Society, Evangelical Fellowship of Singapore, Keswick committee and of course the National Council of Churches of Singapore. I was president of NCCS for two years in the seventies. When I went to this thanksgiving meeting I had expected to meet a number of my old friends but they were not there. Some have gone to be with the Lord in Heaven, others have returned to their own countries, some might be getting too old or frail to come to the service. Some might still be travelling doing mission. They have their reasons. Anyway, I did have the privilege of meeting friends like Dr. Bobby Sng the president of Bible Society.

I’m glad I am a Singaporean. It is right and good to be patriotic, to love one's country. But we should not be nationalistic because in Christ there is no east of west. The church is universal, The Salvation Army is international.

In Christ there is no east or west,
In Him no south or north,
But one great fellowship of love
Throughout the whole wide earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment