Monday, August 10, 2009

Love

"To love a human being means to accept him, to love him as he is. If you wait until he has got rid of his faults, till he is different, you are only living an idea." Florence Allshorn.

Professor G B Caird defined Christian love as 'a gracious, determined and active interest in the true welfare of others."

If I have no love - by Joy Webb
I can speak a word that sets the world on fire,
I can dazzle men with eloquence and flair,
If I have no love,
My words will have no meaning.
And someone has to show me how to care.

I can play with skill that brings me admiration,
I can show technique that many say is rare,
If I have no love,
Then my music's just an echo,
Someone has to show me how to care.

I can be exact in what is known as duty,
Never miss a thing, and always do my share,
But if I have no love,
Mere activity is pointless,
And someone has to show me how to care.

I can pray a prayer that seems to be perfection,
Beautiful ideas that echo everywhere,
But if I have no love,
Then my life will be a shadow,
And I really need to learn to care.

I can build a world of 'make believe' religion,
And I can persuade myself it's really there,
But in the great 'outside' there are men who need a Saviour,
How are they to know
Unless I care?

No comments:

Post a Comment