Monday, January 14, 2013

Limited Liberty

Everywhere there are cries for freedom and more freedom. Even in my own country I hear comments of 'more liberalisation.' I agree, but one has to remember too,  liberty has its limits.  In Christ we have perfect freedom for He came into the world to set us free from sin and the bondage of sin. We are free to love and serve Him and our fellowmen.

I recognize also, there are restraints in my freedom. There is limit to liberty. We have been studying the Book of Judges and I have come to the last three chapters of this book. It tells the stories of people who have abused freedom.
The comment "Each man does what he thinks fit in his own eyes" is repeated several times and in fact the last sentence in the book sums it all up.

Look at Paul's statement "“I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Corinthians 6: 12.  Should my liberty be limited? Of course! Freedom has restraints, liberty has its limits.

I am allowed to eat what I like, there is perfect freedom, but I limit myself for the sake of my own health. It is wrong to indulge in bodily appetites.  In his letter, Paul was writing on the subject of sexual indulgence. Lust by whatever name we call it, is a deadly sin. So also with appetite, gluttony, sloth  and other indulgences. The Bible clearly states that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

For the sake of God's Kingdom, for my own sake, for the sake of others, I place limits on my liberty. We are not our own, we are bought with a price. In one of our songs we have this statement, "A life of self renouncing love is one of liberty.

I love the old hymn written by Anna Laetitia Waring entitled "Father I know that all my life is portioned out for me." The last verse ends with this beautiful prayer and on this Monday evening, I  make again this plea to my Lord whom I love and serve. My friends who read this blog, please pause a while and join me in this prayer.

"In a service which Thy will appoints there are no bonds for me;
My inmost heart is taught the truth that makes Thy children free
A life of self-renouncing love is one of liberty."  Anna Laetitia Waring





 


No comments:

Post a Comment