Thursday, January 31, 2013

Kindness

This afternoon after doing my shopping, I got on the bus which was quite full. As soon as I walked in a little girl about 10 or 11 years old seated on a seat behind the driver got up and offered me her seat.  It was one of those seats sufficient for an adult and infant or small child but insufficient for two adults. I actually wanted to move in further, but felt I should be gracious enough to accept her offer. I thanked her and added "You are a good girl, God bless you." She gave me a lovely smile.

I must admit most who offered us their seats are ladies - perhaps eight out of ten!  Some men are either too sleepy or too busy looking our of the window, or reading the Ipod to notice two elderly people. Of maybe they are praying with their eyes shut. God bless them.

It's nice to be old and with white hair and wrinkled face. During the week a lady rang me about 8.30 p.m and asked if we were home. We answered in the affirmative. On her way home from work, she had stopped at a cake shop and bought us a cake! She said she thought the cake look nice and we would enjoy it. Well, we are still enjoying it - we limit ourselves to one small piece per evening.

There are many kind people in Singapore and we have been recipients of their kindness.

William Penn said this:

"I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore , there be any kindness I can  show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it as I shall not pass this way again."  That's good philosophy.

And when we are on the receiving end, let us accept kindness graciously and thank God for many kind people around us. I believe they are God's angels!

No comments:

Post a Comment