Sunday, January 27, 2013

Home to Balestier - Balek kampong

What a day we had! For me it was "balek kampong" - back to my home church Balestier, the place where I spent my childhood and teenage years until I went to the Salvation Army Training College in January 1954. I was quite nostalgic!

"Nostalgia is the file that removes the rough edges from the good old days." Doug Larson.
"There is a certain nostalgia and romance in a place you left behind." David Guterson

We were there to conduct the Sunday morning service. There were the old friends, and there were many new people joining the church - children, youth, middle age and the elderly.

Brother Tony Leong and his wife came for us at 10.15 a.m. Traffic was heavy today because of Chinese New year coming and road works. From the moment we stepped out of the van, we were warmly welcomed. After the service, we joined the folk on the second level for lunch. What a great time of fellowship.

Well, it is my Home church and nice to be Home. The elderly who knew me with my idiosyncrasies and awkward teen age years have all gone. The rough edges of those days have been removed and forgotten. O I must be careful, I'm no saint even if Paul uses that word to describe Christians. We are all saints in the making.

Thank You Lord for another good day you have given me. I pray this prayer.

If I have wounded any soul today
If I have caused one foot to go astray
If I have walked in my own willful way
Dear Lord, forgive

If I have uttered idol word or vain
If I have turned aside from want or pain
Yes, I myself shall suffer through the strain
Dear Lord, forgive

Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee
Forgive the secret sins I do not see
Oh, guide me and love me and my keeper be
Dear Lord, forgive(Oh, Lord amen) -Maude Battersby






No comments:

Post a Comment