Thursday, January 10, 2013

Discipline of Prayer

For my wife and me, the day began at 4.30 a.m. when the alarm rang. On Thursdays we get up half and hour earlier than usual. This enables us to take our morning exercise, a ritual we have kept for years.  Because of road works, we feel safe just to walk in the compound.

We believe in discipline - both physical and spiritual. Henri Nouwen explains why discipline is so important to our spiritual life. Nouwen writes:
"Discipline is the other side of discipleship. Discipleship without discipline is like waiting to run in the marathon without ever practising. Discipline without discipleship is like always practising for the marathon but never participating. It is important, however, to realize that discipline in the spiritual life is not the same as discipline in sports. Discipline in sports is the concentrated effort to master the body so that it can obey the mind better. Discipline in the spiritual life is the concentrated effort to create the space and time where God can become our master and where we can respond freely to God’s guidance.
Thus, discipline is the creation of boundaries that keep time and space open for God. Solitude requires discipline, worship requires discipline, caring for others requires discipline. They all ask us to set apart a time and a place where God’s gracious presence can be acknowledged and responded to."
So after our physical exercise and breakfast, plus a time of quiet communion with God in personal devotions, we proceeded to Bishan Territorial Headquarters for our usual Prayer meeting led by Captain Hary. We were blessed as we shared in thanksgiving, worship and prayer.


  1. I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
    And it told Thy love to me;
    But I long to rise in the arms of faith
    And be closer drawn to Thee.
    • Refrain:
      Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
      To the cross where Thou hast died;
      Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
      To Thy precious, bleeding side.
  2. Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
    By the pow’r of grace divine;
    Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
    And my will be lost in Thine.
  3. Oh, the pure delight of a single hour
    That before Thy throne I spend,
    When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God
    I commune as friend with friend!
  4. There are depths of love that I cannot know
    Till I cross the narrow sea;
    There are heights of joy that I may not reach
    Till I rest in peace with Thee. -Frances J Crosby






No comments:

Post a Comment