Saturday, January 5, 2013

Covenants

It is Saturday evening and I've been going through my sermon for tomorrow at Changi Corps (Church) It will be Covenant Sunday and folk will be invited to sign their covenant at the Altar.

How seriously do we take our covenants made with God? There are three I cannot afford to break and I seek God's daily grace to keep me faithful.

1. My Covenant to be a Soldier of the Lord Jesus Christ, to love and serve Him till I die. I signed this when I was a teenager in 1949. It is called "The Articles of War" or "Soldier's covenant"

2. My Officership Covenant - I signed this prior to being ordained and commissioned as a Salvation Army Officer in October 1954 - 58 years ago. It is a life long commitment. I am retired, but not from loving God and serving Him. This is a life long ministry.

3. My marriage Covenant - 7th June 1958 - 54 years ago.

Even as I typed this, I pray this prayer.

"By the love that never ceased to hold me,
By the blood which Thou didst shed for me.
While Thy presence and Thy power enfold me,
I renew my covenant with Thee"  (Will J Brand)

No comments:

Post a Comment