Sunday, April 6, 2014

In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength.

"In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength" Isaiah 30: 15
Simple words, simple text expressing a profound truth. It is the formula for adequacy for the demands placed upon us. This verse has brought me much help and comfort when I meet challenges that I feel I cannot cope.

Briefly let us look us look at the background of this chapter in Isaiah. Sennacherib was threatening Judah. Panic reigned; everyone was nervous and jittery when they thought of this formidable enemy. So the people. God's chosen ones, instead of trusting Him, decided to go to get help from Egypt. To safeguard their possible, they thought it best at that juncture to have an alliance with Egypt, a nation with horses, chariots and big army. The might of Egypt filled them with admiration. They somehow forgot Yahweh the Almighty.

We live in a trouble world and there is danger of us to leave out God Almighty in our calculations. Well has the Psalmist remind us, "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses, but we will remember the name of the Lord." Psalm 20:7

May we during this Lenten season, pause, be still and focus our thoughts on God Almighty Who in His great love sent Jesus into the world to be our Saviour. Let us put our trust in the Almighty God who is still in control of this universe He created.


In the secret of thy presence,
Where the pure in heart may dwell,
Are the springs of sacred service
And a power that none can tell.
There my love must bring its offering,
There my heart must yield its praise,
And the Lord will come, revealing
All the secrets of his ways.

More than all my lips may utter,
More than all I do or bring,
Is the depth of my devotion
To my Saviour, Lord and King.
Nothing less will keep me tender;
Nothing less will keep me true;
Nothing less will keep the fragrance
And the bloom on all I do!

Blessed Lord, to see thee truly,
Then to tell as I have seen,
This shall rule my life supremely,
This shall be the sacred gleam.
Sealed again is all the sealing,
Pledged again my willing heart,
First to know thee, then to serve thee,
Then to see thee as thou art.
Albert Orsborn (1886-1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment