Sunday, March 30, 2014

The basin and the towel

Commissioner Edward Read of Canada, a very godly man. was a good friend of mine and we used to correspond with each other.He was a prolific writer and poet and I still have some of his books in my personal library.

One day he sent me this poem that has blessed me again and again in my devotions and certainly during this season of Lent.

The basin and the towel
And Jesus on His knees,
What graciousness is here,
What holy mysteries!
How needs of mine assail me when
I watch the Master and His men.

Such love He bore his own,
All selfless to the end,
To take the servant’s part,
On dusty knee to bend,
And girded with humility
He kneels to minister to me.

His lowliness is might,
His meekness majesty,
His holy hands can touch
A traitor lovingly!
Let pride be broken when it sees
That kingly love upon its knees.

The basin brims with grace
As Jesus comes again.
He holds the towel to me
To serve men in His name
To share in Christly ministries
I can but fall upon my knees.

Words: Edward Read


No comments:

Post a Comment