Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Singing psalms and hymns

"After singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives" Matt. 26:30

In the Gospels of Matthew and Mark, we have this statement as part of the Passover Supper scene. At the meal, the Hallel Psalms of Praise (113-118) were sung. Every Jewish boy had to memorise these psalms. Psalms 113 and 114 were sung near the beginning of the observance and Psalms 115-118 at a later point. At the end of the Feast the great Hallel Psalm 136 was sung.

I love the Psalms. It would be good for us all to read these psalms. Think of it, as our Lord moved towards Calvary these words were in His heart and on His lips. Let us join Him in saying, "The LORD is for me; I will not fear' What can man do to me?" Jesus went to the Cross singing these beautiful words.

We live in world of trouble, chaos, confusion. What will happen next? With God on my side, I fear nothing to fear.

An unknown writer has written this beautiful poem.

"I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
     Come drifting home with broken masks and sails:
I shall believe the hand that never fails,
     From seeming evil worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are battered,
    Still will I cry, while my best hopes are shattered,
         I trust in Thee.

I will not doubt, though sorrows fall like rain,
   And troubles swarm like bees about a hive;
I shall believe the heights for which I strive
   Are only reached by anguish and by pain;
And though I groan and tremble with my crosses,
       The greatest gain.

I will not doubt, well anchored in the faith,
   Like some storm ship, my soul braves every gale;
So strong its courage that it will not fail,
   To breast the mighty unknown sea of death;
O may I cry when body parts with spirit,
   I do not doubt, so listening worlds may hear it,
           I trust in Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment