Saturday, August 13, 2011

The kingdom of God

It is Saturday evening and I've been going through the lesson I shall share with my comrades tomorrow. It's about the millennium, a highly controversial subject. The disagreement seems to hang on one one phrase 'a thousand years.' I read through many books, went to the Internet and found a bewildering array of diverse interpretations. Bible scholars of high repute are found on different sides, in opposing camps. Yes, we walk on a tight rope, but I am convinced God's Spirit will prevent us from falling into cynicism on one side, or fanaticism on the other. We must continue to search the Scriptures.

One commentator gives wise counsel with this sentence, 'It is necessary to approach this chapter,(Revelation 20) with humility and charity. The most enlightened of Bible students know that his or her view is partial and incomplete. We continue to seek the Spirit's enlightenment and guidance. One day we shall see Him face to face and everything will be made clear. O for that day when the Kingdom comes.

As I study and reflect on His word, I realise the Kingdom of God is already here. The blessings of the Kingdom are realised by those who have accepted and embraced Kingdom values.The manifesto of the Kingdom is in the teaching of Jesus, especially the Beatitudes found in Matthew 5. When Christ takes full control of our lives, the Kingdom is in our hearts.

In another sense we await the Kingdom - the Kingdom is yet to come. As I look around in my own country and situation in the world today, the suffering, pain and injustice, man's inhumanity to man, the Kingdom is yet to come. We have a duty to share the gospel with others and continue to pray, "Your kingdom come."

One thing is certain. I have a class of mature Christians who are not afraid to speak up and give their views. All of them have that spirit of charity in sharing the word of God. I teach every week, but I learn much more from them. As I write, I whisper a prayer for those who will be sharing with word to morrow at our William Booth Corps (church)

No comments:

Post a Comment