Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Commit your way to the Lord

My wife and I use the WORDS OF LIFE for our devotions every morning. Today we came to the last page of this quarter's reading - a meditation on Psalm 37: 1-8. the writer ends with Lieut. Colonel Mina Russell's poem "Commit your way to the Lord"

We met the Colonel many years ago, in the seventies. She was on transit at Singapore Airport. Her flight to Australia was cancelled for some reason. It was midnight. So she telephoned The Salvation Army Headquarters and at that time, after office hours, all calls were directed to the General Secretary's quarters. I answered her call, then drove to the Airport and brought her to our place and billeted her for the night. She was very tired and her arm was in a sling. She really appreciated the hospitality given.

She then made arrangements to stop at Singapore on her way home to the States. We arranged accomodation for her and also invited her to speak at the Women's Fellowship one evening. She spoke on "The Motherhood of God."

Well we became friends and before she left for the airport, she gave us some of her notes of her lectures which I have kept to this day. We were blessed by this saintly lady.

Commit my way?
The way so pleasing in the past?
Commit my way?
The way I live and walk today?
Commit my way?
The way I think and feel and do?
Commit my way?
The way I see for days ahead?
This means there's nothing left for me,
No way that I can choose to go.
It can't be so, that I must give
To God my rights, my will, my way.
And yet, if I would follow Christ,
This is his way, the Calvary way;
The Father's will,his plan, his way,
The only way to save the world;
The way for me if I am called-
The way of love, the Jesus way.

I'm glad I am still walking the Jesus' way. There have been disappointments, discouragements, but no regrets whatsoever. God gives the best to those who leave the choice with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment