Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ascension Day

The Ascension of Jesus Christ is recorded in the New Testament -Acts 1: 9-11, Ephesians 4: 8 and Luke 24: 50-53. The Ascension is defined as the event in which the Risen Lord visibly withdrew from His disciples and passed into the heavens at the close of His earthly ministry.

Jesus ascended to Heaven and now sits at the right hand of God the Father in heaven. An angel told the watching disciples that Jesus' second coming would take place in the same manner as his ascension, that is, He would descend in bodily form.

The Feast of the Ascension, celebrated 40 days after Easter, is one of the chief feasts of the Christian year. But it seems to be a forgotten festival in this part of the world. I recall one Sunday following the Ascension I gave a sermon on this subject. After the service, one sister came to me and told me it was the first time she had heard a sermon on the Ascension.

The Ascension is the sure hope of our ascension. Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us in Heaven. He has promised "I go to prepare a place for you, I will come back to take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." John 14: 3.

I have joy and peace in my heart because I believe Him and His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment