Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Birthday reflections

"The days of our lives are seventy years; and if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet their boast is only labour and sorrow; for soon it is cut off, and we fly away" Psalm 90: 10

This sounds rather a doleful statement, but it is true. I've lived past my 'three score years and ten' as the KJV says in the text quoted.

Celebrated my 79th birthday - had four lunches/dinners given by friends and relatives. Received lots of messages by e-mail, cards and of course Facebook. So kind of folk to remember and take the time to connect.

I've outlived all my siblings, elder brother left this world at the age of 55, younger brother went to be with the Lord at 72, my sister passed away at 70. Both my parents died in their mid seventies. There must be a reason why I am still alive. I believe there is still work to be done. Or do you believe in the oft quoted saying, "The good die young."

I still have a lot to do yet. At the moment I am concentrating on the Book of Revelation, preparing lessons for my Adult Bible class every Sunday morning. No I don't predict dates of the Second Coming for I believe no one knows the day or the hour when the Lord will come again. I search for spiritual truths to apply to our daily living and prepare ourselves for the day when He will come for us.

I am writing my autobiography and have completed 57 chapters, the last two on Hong Kong. I have yet to write on our work in the Philippines and in the South Pacific and East Asia Zone. Of course, I would like to write about what I've been doing in retirement. Whether I shall be able to complete what I've planned to do, only the Lord knows.

In the meantime, I pray this prayer,"So teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12. Moses wrote these words - a summary of what we need to know if we want to make our lives count.We just have to live a day at a time.

We Live In Deeds, Not Years

We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not breaths;
In feelings, not in figures on a dial.
We should count time by heart-throbs. He most lives
Who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best.
And he whose heart beats quickest lives the longest:
Lives in one hour more than in years do some
Whose fat blood sleeps as it slips along their veins.
Life’s but a means unto an end; that end,
Beginning, mean, and end to all things—God.
The dead have all the glory of the world.

Philip James Bailey (1816-1902)

No comments:

Post a Comment