Thursday, June 2, 2011

Jesus our interecessor

More thoughts on His Ascension.
Jesus has "passed through the heavens" (Heb 4:14, 6:20). He sits "at the right hand of the Majesty on High" (Heb 1:3,13). We therefore have, as our intercessor, the very One who is closest to the Majesty on high, who sits at his side.

What a wonderful and comforting thought that our Lord Jesus has never lost interest in us. He still loves us dearly.He still shows His concern and still pleads for us. "If anyone does sin, we have One who will plead our cause with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." 1 John 2:1. He speaks to God in our defence.

This verse is not given as an encouragement for us to sin. We humans sometimes slip and fall, we make mistakes, but our Lord Jesus has compassion on us and pleads for us.

I love Charles Wesley's beautiful hymn which proclaims this truth.

Arise, my soul, arise; shake off thy guilty fears;
The bleeding sacrifice in my behalf appears:
Before the throne my surety stands,
My name is written on His hands.

He ever lives above, for me to intercede;
His all redeeming love, His precious blood, to plead:
His blood atoned for all our race,
And sprinkles now the throne of grace.

Five bleeding wounds He bears; received on Calvary;
They pour effectual prayers; they strongly plead for me:
“Forgive him, O forgive,” they cry,
“Nor let that ransomed sinner die!”

The Father hears Him pray, His dear anointed One;
He cannot turn away, the presence of His Son;
His Spirit answers to the blood,
And tells me I am born of God.

My God is reconciled; His pardoning voice I hear;
He owns me for His child; I can no longer fear:
With confidence I now draw nigh,
And “Father, Abba, Father,” cry

No comments:

Post a Comment