Monday, May 23, 2011

Changes

Yesterday morning at our church service, one of the songs used was "Abide with me, fast falls the even tide." I cannot recall singing this old hymn in recent years during worship service except at funerals! In my younger days, we used to have two Sunday meetings - one the the morning called the Holiness meeting, and one in the evening called Salvation meeting. This old hymn was used often in the evening.

One of the lines struck me yesterday. "Change and decay in all around I see." Note change is linked with decay! Of course the hymn writer was comparing this line with the next which says, O Thou who changest not, abide with me." Nature changes but our Lord never changes. That's a fact.

Does change always lead to decay? Change can be for the better. Nature decays, but renews. Change can be for good or otherwise. Remember the other saying, "If ain't broke don't fix it."

The world wants change. Recent events happening in the Arab world and elsewhere highlights the importance of change. Time to change - leaders and systems that don't work anymore must go! We feel the ripple effects here in our country.

The recent General Election in Singapore highlights that important word 'change' and our leaders are listening hard and are working on change. First the cabinet changes and now a committee has been formed to study Ministers' salaries! I see our ministers are going to get a pay cut! Well, as our Prime Minister has said, being a Minister should be a calling! Good to hear that word, 'CALLING'- that's what we've been emphasising in the church and I hope our pastors or ministers, vicars, bishops, Salvation Army officers remmember this. I notice too during election time, the word 'repent' was used. Our nations is getting religious using words like 'calling' and 'repentance' 'renewal' etc. They must have been attending church and listening to sermons.

Governments, movements, societies, organisations, churches need to re-examine their policies, methods procedures, reflect and make changes when necessary to be relevant to our modern world. The older we get, the harder it seems to make changes. I am speaking from experience. To those involved in change, it can be frightening. We all love the status quo- 'as it was in the beginning and is now and ever shall be Amen' sounds more comfortable! Change is often accompanied by uncertainty as routine is disrupted as new methods and procedures are introduced.

We shall see many changes soon. Like it or not change can be for better or for worse and we'll be affected. Someone once said,"In times of mega change, we have to keep a mega grip on God."The Lord delights in the way of the man whose steps he has made firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand." Psalm 37: 23-24

I end this rambling reflection with the words of Anna L Waring

"Father, I know that all my life
Is portioned out for me;
The changes that will surely come,
I do not fear to see;

I ask Thee for a patient mind,
Intent on pleasing thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment