Monday, January 4, 2010

This is my story - 11

11 – Preparation for training

The call of God to be an officer was very definite and there was no getting away from it. The Officer Commanding Lieut. Colonel Frederick Harvey offered me a job in The Salvation Army as a Candidate Helper of Central Corps. I assisted Lieutenant Douglas Kiff the Corps Officer who at that time was still single.

My duties involved Corps activities and in those days we had them almost every evening and whole day Sunday. There was a full programme on Sunday – Prayer meeting, Directory Class, Holiness meeting, Sunday school, Open air meeting and Salvation meeting. During the week we had band and songsters’ practice, United Holiness meeting, and Torchbearers! During the day time, we were busy with Prisoners’ Aid programme. Ex-prisoners would come to the Army to seek financial assistance. We had to visit their homes to investigate the extent of their need. Then there were visits to two prisons – Queenstown and Changi. We went everywhere on the motor-bike and I rode pillion.

During this time, Lieutenant Douglas Kiff felt the Lord was telling him to recommence Tamil work at Kolam Ayer in the home of Brother Sevanathan who at that time was worshipping at Central Corps. Before the war there was Tamil work at Race Course Road, the work pioneered by Major and Mrs Abraham, officers from India. The Corps closed down during the war. Lieutenant Kiff and I went to the Kolam Ayer area visiting every Tamil family. The area was predominantly Tamil. And we got the work started – the first Tamil corps was formed after the war.

It was a seven day work week for us plus evening duties as well. But I was happy nevertheless. My salary was $80.00 per month. I did not mind that, but I had problem with my family as my mother expected me to contribute to the family budget. My younger brother was still in school and I had to support him. By the time I contributed to the family expenses, I hardly had anything left for myself – enough just for lunch and bus fares.

Much pressure was put on me by my family to get a job with a better salary. In the end I caved in, resigned from my employment with the Army and joined the commercial world. I worked for Singer Sewing Machine Company which paid me a good salary. I was able to contribute significantly to the family budget.

I still spent my evenings in the Army and very much involved in activities at the Central Corps. I was commissioned as the YPSM and Torchbearer Secretary. I enjoyed every moment my ministry at the Central Corps.

Prospects of promotion at Singer Sewing Machine were good and the thought came to me that I might as well continue with secular employment and give my time to the Army as a lay person. My parents were happy now I was able to increase my contribution to the family budget. Surely the Lord would understand my circumstances and after all I could still be a faithful soldier and local officer. The vision of the call began to fade as I prospered materially.

I wrote to Lieut. Colonel Fred Harvey expressing my desire to terminate my candidateship and assuring him of my commitment to remain a good soldier of the Army. When he received my letter, he came immediately to my work place and requested me to see him the next day. He waited for me in his office after office hours. We sat down and he listened to all that I had to say before giving me his counsel. He assured me that God would open a way for me and that I had to learn to trust Him.

He then assured me that a session would commence shortly. At that time there were only two candidates (the other was Fong Pui Chan) and he would begin a session in January 1954 regardless of the number of the cadets. I greatly respected and loved Lieut. Colonel Harvey. He was my mentor and even long after they left Singapore kept in contact with me.

I sold my small accordion to a friend for $30.00 and put that towards my uniform. Then I sat for a Corps Cadet Exam and was awarded a small sum of money. I managed to scrape enough to buy my uniform and equipment to enter Training College. I went to Sungei Road and bought a second hand suitcase to put all my earthly belongings. I had to close my Post Office Savings account as it reached zero balance! I had nothing, but I was rich in blessings.

When I told my Father, he was non committal. He had thought at least one of his three sons would one day take over his tools and be a builder. My elder brother became a mechanic and was happy in his work. Physically I was not fit to do such heavy manual work and it would appear my younger brother would not be much good either.

Mother was upset, almost bursting into tears but what could she do, but just had to let me go. She knew my mind was made up. For me there was no option but to obey the call.

So I worked till the end of December 1953 and entered training in January 1954. There were three cadets and the fourth one, Teo Poh Leng was accepted at the last minute and he had to give a month’s notice at Tan Tock Seng Hospital where he was working. So there were four cadets – Fong Pui Chan, Chan Chin Chye, Teoh Poh Leng and myself.

As I look back I give thanks to God for officers like, Captain Cecil Watts, Mrs. Major Rosa Price one of my Corps Officers and certainly the Officer Commanding Lieut. Colonel Fred Harvey who contributed much to my spiritual development.

No comments:

Post a Comment