Friday, January 29, 2010

Men's Fellowshsip

I was invited to the launch of the Men's Fellowship at Central Corps, Bishan last night.

When I first received the invitation I felt like declining it as I don't like going out in the evenings. I enjoy being in my cosy home, reading or listening to music and going to bed early. However, pondering over the matter further, I felt somewhat guilty for being selfish and thinking of my own comfort. Last Sunday's Bible Study came to mind when I emphasised the words of Paul "Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also the interest of others." Phil. 2: 4. How could I say no to my good friend Patrick Foo who sent the invitation?

David our grandson had heard about the invitation and offered transport. He, Rachel and Yurong had to go for band practice at Central Corps in any case, and there was room for me in the car. My wife felt I should go to give support. And I am glad I went.

I had a glorious time - good food, good fellowship and I was inspired and encouraged by the lovely spirit of the men there. I think the leaders are very passionate about this fellowship. A good programme has been planned and I believe this additional activity will add to the growth of the church and the kingdom.

I've been in The Salvation Army for 72 years but this is the first time I have attended a Men's fellowship! This is making history and I hope it gets recorded in our History Book and our Archives!

Captain Lim Chee Kwee in his epilogue spoke on Nehemiah and the rebuilding of the wall of Jerusalem. Each person was responsible for the repair of a certain gate. It speaks of Christian unity - certainly a timely message for such a time as this.

I came home thanking God for the men of Central Corps who care enough to do something 'to repair the gate and wall' of our Army. These men could have spent the evening at home watching television or doing their own thing, but they are concerned for the Kingdom of God. May God bless the Men's Fellowship.

Before we left the building I met Daniel Ng who took me to the band room and showed me three piano accordions. They have been forgotten and left lying in the band room and last night I was given the opportunity to test them. I hope our young people will make use of them and form the first piano accordion band!

God bless Central Corps! it always has a special place in our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. You've captured the essence of the Men's fellowship. Thank you. Peng Soon

    ReplyDelete