Friday, January 1, 2010

The Gate of the Year

In his Christmas broadcast in 1939, King George VI quoted from a poem entitled The Gate of the Year published privately in 1908 by Marie Louise Haskins, a lecturer at the London School of Economics.

His Majesty quoted:

“I said to the man who stood at the Gate of the Year.
‘Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.’
And he replied, ‘Go out into the darkness, and put your hand into the hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.’

The Christmas we anticipated has come and gone. We have just crossed over into the New Year 2010. Time with relentless motion has carried us through all sorts of situations and circumstances. We’ve been through joy and pain, laughter and tears, yes varied have been the experiences. We have had our moments of rejoicing and times of regret. Now we wonder what this year will bring.

We can take a new road in company with Jesus our Lord. The world without Christ is one of darkness and insecurity. Jesus the Light of the world dispels the world’s spiritual darkness.

Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom.
Lead Thou me on!
The night is dark and I am far from home:
Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask the see
The distant scene; one step enough for me. (John Newman)

No comments:

Post a Comment