Monday, July 31, 2017

My life must be Christ's broken bread


My life must be Christ’s broken bread,
My love His outpoured wine,
A cup o’erfilled, a table spread
Beneath His name and sign.
That other souls, refreshed and fed, ...
May share His life through mine.


My all is in the Master’s hands
For Him to bless and break;
Beyond the brook His winepress stands
And thence my way I take,
Resolved the whole of love’s demands
To give, for His dear sake.

Lord, let me share that grace of Thine
Wherewith Thou didst sustain
The burden of the fruitful vine,
The gift of buried grain.
Who dies with Thee, O Word divine,
Shall rise and live again.

In 1947, Albert Orsborn was in Berlin on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday (3,4 April) and then in Holland for Easter Day and Easter Monday (6,7 April). He later wrote:

"During my first visit to Berlin, when I met our dear officers in council in the war-damaged temple, I was burdened with a sense of my own inadequacy to match the occasion… I cried to God to help me, in my own spirit, and to let His Spirit work within us all, to bring us together, to bridge what seemed to be, in all reason, an impossible gulf between our respective conditions of living… God revealed to me that not only that day, but always, we have no hope of being a blessing to other souls unless our lives become a part of the Saviour´s sacramental consecration… Before I left Berlin, this song had begun to form itself in my mind. As I travelled toward Holland, along the straight but monotonous Autobahn, line by line the song was given to me, the last verse coming in the early morning following my return home."
The verses were published in The War Cry, 3 May 1947, with the title, ´Christ´s Broken Bread´.(Companion to the Song Book, page 118)

“And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me. “In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying,” This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. Luke 22:19”

No comments:

Post a Comment