Saturday, August 6, 2016

May favourite Psalm 121 "I will lift up my eyes to the hills"

My favourite - Psalm 121. I recite it often - the KJV. It has been a source of strength for me especially in times of crisis. The opening words "I will lift up my eyes to the hills - from whence cometh my help." It suggests the pilgrims found strength in looking at the hills, part of God's creation.
Later versions punctuate the sentence differently. "I will lift up my eyes to the hills." then the next part, "From whence cometh my help?". The the answer "My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth."

The punctuations made the difference.
Note, not the hills, but the Creator of the hills, our Sovereign God the Source of our security. He is the One we look up to for help and security.
Someone once said, "In crisis we look inwards and bcome afraid, we look around us and become confused, we look upwards and become serene."

I love this old hymn -
Unto the hills around do I lift up
My longing eyes;
O whence for me shall my salvation come,
From whence arise?
From God the Lord doth come my certain aid,
From God the Lord, who heav’n and earth hath made.

He will not suffer that thy foot be moved:
Safe shalt thou be.
No careless slumber shall His eyelids close,
Who keepeth thee.
Behold, He sleepeth not, He slumbereth ne’er,
Who keepeth Israel in His holy care.

Jehovah is Himself thy keeper true,
Thy changeless shade;
Jehovah thy defense on thy right hand
Himself hath made.
And thee no sun by day shall ever smite;
No moon shall harm thee in the silent night.

From every evil shall He keep thy soul,
From every sin;
Jehovah shall preserve thy going out,
Thy coming in.
Above thee, watching, He whom we adore
Shall keep thee henceforth, yea, for evermore.
(John Douglas Sutherland Campbell)

No comments:

Post a Comment