Thursday, August 11, 2016

God is watching over you


“He that keepeth thee will not slumber” Psalm121: 3
Dr. William Alfred Quayle, American Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church wrote many books specially to help young ministers. He recalls once he was burning the midnight oil. Tired and sleepy, he happened to turn his eyes to Psalm 121 and read this verse “He that keepeth thee will not slumber.” He sensed that it was a message from the Lord telling him , “ there is no need for both of us to stay awake. You go to bed and sleep, I’m always awake anyway.”

There are many reasons we stay awake all night. Perhaps fear or worry. The child may be afraid of the dark, the adult fear lots of things. Sleep is a gift from God. And here’s a wonderful assurance, given in this Psalm.
At the end of the day let us pray using the words of the Psalmist. “I will both lay me down in peace and sleep: for Thou O Lord, only makest me dwell in safety” Psalm 4:8  

“Abide with me from morn till eve, For without Thee I cannot live; Abide with me when night is nigh, for without Thee I cannot die” John Keble.

No comments:

Post a Comment