Sunday, March 6, 2016

Loving God and loving our neighbour

Love is putting our faith into practice  - or holiness in action. Holiness is expressed in loving God and loving our neighbour.

Love God supremely or wholeheartedly and love your neighbour as yourself.

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbour as yourself. " Matthew 22: 37-39

The second part prompts an immediate reaction. Is it possible for us to be ordered to love someone? Can love be ordered? We like some people, some we don't quite like, they get on our nerves! We choose our friends because they appeal to us, we have the same chemistry. We enjoy their company.

Next question. Who is my neighbour? My neighbour  is not necessarily the one who lives next door on in the same block of flats, or in the same condominium, or someone belonging to the same club or fellowship.

My neighbour is the person God has sent into my life, in other words, he is my concern, my opportunity to show the love of Christ. His needs become my needs even if he is not one I like.

Jesus gave a beautiful illustration in the parable of the Good Samaritan. Luke 10: 25-37

Let us view anyone who is in need as our neighbour not just those who are in our circle. Although the Samaritan was not a Jew, he was indeed the true neighbour of the injured Jew, because he showed mercy and love. Love in action.

"I must love thee, love must rule me,
Springing up and flowing forth
From a childlike heart within me,
Or my work is nothing worth.
Love with passion and with patience,
Love with principle and fire,
Love with heart and mind and utterance,
Serving Christ my one desire." Albert Orsborn (1886-1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment