Monday, March 21, 2016

Family get together

My family comprising my father, mother plus a girl and three boys grew up in poverty. They have all gone to be with the Lord. The last one to leave this world was my younger brother who left us on 5th January 2009. All of them died in their seventies, in fact my elder brother passed away at the age of 55 a week after my wife and I were appointed to take charge of The Salvation Army in Hong Kong and Taiwan. He had a stroke and was in a wheelchair for five years.We could not come home for the funeral as we were being welcomed in Hong Kong.

None in my family reached the age of 80 and here I am coming to almost 84, still alive. Well, I come to the conclusion there is still work to be done and I've not completed by task yet. 

Last Saturday, my sister-in-law Agnes and her only daughter visited us and took us out for lunch. What a lovely time we had as we reminisced, recalling the past. Adeline and her family decided to move in and look after her Mum and when the latter suggested she would like to see us, the daughter quickly made arrangement for us to meet.

What a great time of fellowship we had. When we were overseas for the last 15 years in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines and London this younger brother always made it a point to visit our special daughter Dora Poh Chin. He became very good friends with the people in charge of the Home where Dora was at Upper Bukit Timah and gave good support.

In retirement, he volunteered to help out at Gracehaven.

God has been good to us and our family. We thank God for family and friends who have blessed us.

"Families and friends form some of the closest of bonds you will ever experience. It is almost impossible for you to lead a happy life without support from these important groups of people." Jeffrey Dawson, Boundaries: Line Between Right And Wrong 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment