Monday, September 22, 2014

Sunday at Changi Corps

Despite my pain in the knee, I got up the same time and together with my wife went for our early morning walk.  But I had to be careful; I took my walking stick with me and confined myself to a certain area and avoided the steps. Early rise gives us time to have a leisurely breakfast and devotions. Quiet time with the Lord is important and just to be still and ponder over His love gives a good start for the day. The older I get the more I need this time of stillness.

AT 9.00 a.m. Jacob Tan and his wife Patricia with their two lovely children, Joseph and Justus were here to meet and take us to Changi Corps. We have known Jacob for many years. He started as a policeman patrolling the Choa Chu Kang area, but now holds a fairly high post at Police Headquarters. Jacob was the worship leader on Sunday 21st September.

Good to see quite a number of Salvationists in uniform too. We were very impressed with two uniformed Filipino salvationists Anne and Lady. Both are working in Singapore (not at Peacehaven)  Sunday is their day off and they spend the time at the Salvation Army. They were busy welcoming visitors. It shows they are well integrated with our local folk. Some people like to keep their own group, but not these two who were so helpful looking after others especially the elderly. I was greatly encouraged and inspired by these two sisters.

After the usual formalities my wife took leadership of the meeting and I gave the message based on 1 Corinthians 13 "The Excellence of Love."

Thank God for the privilege of ministry even in retirement. We will continue as long as we have the strength to do so. God is great, is good and gracious.

Two lovely Christians - John and Ruth Samuel volunteered to fetch us home. In fact they wanted to give us lunch, but we had to decline as we already had something to eat earlier on immediately after the meeting.  What a joy to share fellowship with these two friends in the car. We were truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment