Thursday, August 15, 2013

Modern technology - staying connected.

I was invited to a Men's Fellowship at Central Corps to speak one evening when someone twisted my arm to get into Facebook. Very reluctantly I agreed! I don't spend much time on Facebook, like so many of my friends do. Perhaps each day I might just view for fifteen minutes. I just don't have the time, or maybe should I put it I have other priorities. Anyway Facebook provides the opportunity to get connected with friends; some we have not seen for donkeys years.

Yesterday one of our grandchildren Cheryl came to visit us after work and she gave me some new lessons on the computer and added more things on to the iPad. When it comes to modern technology, we can always turn to our grandchildren. They have very alert minds and nimble fingers. Good to have grandchildren, they help us to keep relevant in this day and generation.

Cheryl helped me put a picture on my Timeline. This now completes the whole family - our three children and six grandchildren. Dora who is handicapped is not in the main picture, but last Christmas we went round to sing carols to the residents at Peacehaven and someone took that photo of my wife and me with Dora in the middle. So far I have received more than 50 comments and 'like' in Facebook. What a way to stay connected.

This morning I was on the bus and noticed a banner advertising computer lessons for the young and old. How blessed we are to have grandchildren who can give us free tuition! We've been truly blessed.

How the years have gone! We have been retired more than 16 years. Everyday seems to be a busy day for us. There is so much to do.

Thank you, Lord, for all your goodness:
Through the years of yesterday:
Thank you too, for present mercies
And your blessings on my way.
Thank you for each revelation,
And for what you choose to hide;
Thank you Lord, for grace sustaining
As I in your love abide.

Thank you Lord, for sunlit pathways,
Thank you too, for byways rough:
Thank you for the fruitful summers,
Also for the winters tough.
Thank you, Lord, for fragrant flowers
Growing right amid the weeds;
Thank you for the peace you give me
Even when my spirit bleeds.

Thank you, Lord, for wayside roses,
Even for the thorns beside;
Thank you for the prayers you granted
And for those that you denied;
Thank you, Lord, for precious comfort
In my hours of grief and pain:
Thank you for your precious promise
Life eternal I shall gain.

(by August Ludvig Storm (1862-1914), translated by Flora Larsson)

No comments:

Post a Comment