Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I'll not turn back

I am still thinking and praying for the cadets, young and not so young, but all have a future. While in training in many ways they will be more protected as there are seniors who are there to mentor them. But the day will come when they will be thrown to the wolves to battle on their own. How easy it is to turn back. They will have to rely completely on the Lord for spiritual sustenance.

Sixty years is a long time. O what battles we have fought. There have been times when we felt like throwing in the towel, but what has kept me and my wife going - that sense of calling to save souls, grow saints and serve suffering humanity.

We were commissioned on 25th October 1954. That same week on a Thursday, I packed all my belongings in two suitcases and a small carton of books (Yes, all my earthly possessions)and taken to the bus terminus at Beach Road. The journey took six hours to reach my destination Malacca (Melaka) as there was no expressway in those days. We had to cross two ferries one at Batu Pahat and one at Muar. For three years, I was on my own - no mentor, no senior officers to encourage or reprimand me. I did my own thing!

My Corps (church) upstairs of wine shop! We were filled with the Spirit upstairs, downstairs they were selling wine and spirits and sometimes people were getting drunk! Two signboards the top one had the words "THE SALVATION ARMY" in three languages, Chinese, English amd Malay; just below it was the sign "CHOP SEE SOON, WINE AND SPIRIT MERCHANTS" Glory be to God many souls were saved in that humble hall. The church is not in buildings, but a community of believers!

Yes there were crosses, but by His grace I have not turned back! Praise the Lord for His goodness.

I'll not turn back

If crosses come, if it should cost me dearly,
To be the servant of my Servant Lord,
If darkness falls around the path of duty.
And men despise the Saviour I've adored.

I'll not turn back, whatever it may cost,
I'm called to live, to love and save the lost,
I'll not turn back, whatever it may cost,....
I'm called to live, to love and save the lost.

If doors should close then other doors will open,
The word of God can never be contained.
His love cannot be finally frustrated,
By narrow minds or prison bars restrained.

If tears should fall, if I am called to suffer,
If all I love men should deface, defame,
I'll not deny the One that I have followed,
Nor be ashamed to bear my Master's name. (John Gowans)

Even in retirement, we still have our ministry. There are still crosses, but for me and my wife, we have each other and we have the Lord. WE'LL NOT TURN BACK! We are on our last lap of our journey and we know one day one of us will go first but the other one will still not turn back.

God has not promised us a journey without storms, but safe arrival at our destination - the house of the Lord where we will be with Him for ever. His grace has sustained us through the years will continue to sse us through to eternity.

"Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever"
Psalm 23:6

No comments:

Post a Comment