Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Practice of the Presence of God

We got up early, at 4.30 a.m., did our usual morning walking exercise, breakfast, washed and change, had our devotions and just before 7.00 a.m. were downstairs ready to go for our Thursday morning Global Prayer meeting at Territorial Headquarters.

Our Major is away, so we had to get a taxi. Aux.Captain Raymond Aloba had booked for a taxi, but no taxi came and in the end we went to the road side to hail for one. Every passing taxi had the sign "hired" displayed and by 7.15 a.m. it was pointless for us to go. With the heavy traffic at that time, it would be impossible to be at Bishan by 7.30 a.m, so we made our way home and had our own prayer time.

Thank God, He is present everywhere and we used that period of time to join our comrades around the world in prayer.

I am reminded of Brother Lawrence and his little book entitled "The Practice of the Presence of God." It contains the spiritual secrets of a humble brother who enjoyed closeness with God. The conversation and letters of this humble but exalted lay brother have been compiled to show all of us how, at any moment and in any circumstance, the soul that seeks the companionship of God may find Him.

Here is a quote from his writings,

“I cannot imagine how religious persons can live satisfied without the practice of the presence of GOD. For my part I keep myself retired with Him in the depth of centre of my soul as much as I can; and while I am so with Him I fear nothing; but the least turning from Him is insupportable.”

We did not attend the Prayer meeting, but we were part of the chain of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment