Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Showing neighbourly love

Yesterday, Tuesday as usual we were at Peacehaven.  As the Lunar New Year lasts 15 days, we went round wishing the staff and residents Happy New Year in Chinese. God has added so many friends into our lives. We've been richly blest to have so many friends.

Some are close friends, some just friends, others are acquaintances. There are those who are always on the look out for us and make sure we sit at the same table to share food and fellowship. We simply love each other's company and there is so much to share.

Some are somewhat shy of us and prefer to just smile and move to their own company.

We use The Salvation Army's Daily Devotional - Words of Life. Today's reading talks about 'neighbourly love'. Interesting reading and here I quote

"Many claim to have an abundance of friends on Facebook. It's a new form of social net working that has caught on in recent years and has spread like wildfire....Facebook apparently allows a person to have up to 5,000 friends. Psychologists tell us people can handle 150 meaningful friendships; only 50 as good friends, 15 best friends and only five intimate friends." Food for thought, I've never counted really and classified them so neatly! Some of my friends may have been close at one time, but not now due to various reasons, not least due to distance, busyness and lack of contact. We have somehow grown apart. Others have grown closer each day.

I check on my Facebook account - I have to date 372 friends - most of them I know, a few I've never met. How many are close friends?  I don't know. Every now and then I receive notice of those who want to be friends. They have been recommended by friends. I really don't know them from Adam, so I just click "Not now" I don't want to reach my 5000 too quickly - I simply cannot cope.

I really came to Facebook through my friend Vincent Wong. I was invited to Men's Fellowship one evening and somehow got encouraged or arm twisted to join Facebook. Anyway, I spent about 15 or 20 minutes each day, just to "spy" on my friends' movements.  Seriously, I often whisper a prayer for these my friends. Good to get news of what our friends are doing.

Another paragraph from Words of Life today, "It's not about gathering more and more friends on Facebook or connecting with people who are like minded. It's about being a friend, a neighbour to others - showing Christ's holy, neighbourly love to the world in desperate need of connection to a holy God."

Good thought. Let's pause and reflect and pray this prayer, "Lord, help me to show neighbourly love to people today. Help me to live a holy life, for You are a holy God."

No comments:

Post a Comment