Friday, November 2, 2012

A word of encouragement

Who is my neighbour? We know how Jesus responded to that question. From His teaching, we gather Jesus is not only the person who lives next door to us, he is also the person we meet in the street, the person we interact with each day, my colleague, my classmate, the foreign worker who cleans our street, yes anyone whom we meet at the point of need.

I went to NUH yesterday and met the Nurse who was to take my blood. The first thing I did was to greet her "Good morning, how are you today?"  She responded politely then  apologised for keeping me waiting so long.

"Not at all" I said, "you are busy people, thank you for your service." She took my blood and when I was leaving she said to me, "You made my day." Well, I'm glad I can bring a word of encouragement to some. It made my day too! The nurses, doctors, receptionists in fact all of us need some word of encouragement.

I am sure each day we can find someone whom we can give that word of encouragement. On the way home I was crossing the road when I met an Indian foreign worker. I wished him "good morning' and he seemed surprise. He responded with a beautiful smile and we chatted as we crossed the road together. He must have received a big surprise when I thanked him for coming to Singapore to work on the construction site and help build our train station.

Come 2015 there will be the Hillview Station. Anyone coming to The Salvation Army Upper Bukit Timah Road need just get to this station and you will be right where the Army is. Thank God for the many workers mostly from foreign countries working in the hot sun building this station. They need our encouragement for they are our neighbours.



No comments:

Post a Comment