Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Lord's Day

This morning I did Lesson 11 - Paul's perspective on Profit and Loss (Philippians 3: 1-11) The things Paul formerly considered as assets he now regards as liabilities because of Christ. His conversion changed his values totally. He used to be proud of his Jewishness - circumcised on the eighth day, a native Hebrew of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews, a Pharisee who kept strictly the law of Moses. He new regards his assets as liabilities so far as salvation is concerned.

Paul now looks ahead to his ultimate goal which he describes as 'gaining Christ.' He experiences the resurrection power of Christ in his daily life even in his sufferings.

I have three more lessons to go before beginning a new series on the Book of Revelation.

On Friday evening I received a phone call from Major Pascoe asking me to take over the meeting this morning. She is now in hospital. Well the programme for Sunday was already prepared. So I asked her for the subject and Bible reading. I spent Friday evening and Saturday working on the subject chosen "Extravagant Worship" based on Matthew 26: 1-16. I came up with three points for the message - Mary anointing the feet of Jesus.

1. The Costliness of the gift
2. The Criticism by the disciples
3. The Commendation by the Master

I'm glad my wife and I can still serve. She led the meeting and I gave the message. We thank we can be of service in the Salvation Army.

I recall last year during the Lenten season I used the same incident and had this message:

1. Martha the worker
2 Lazarus the witness
3. Mary the worshipper

No comments:

Post a Comment