Sunday, November 29, 2009

Commisioning of cadets - 28th Nov. 2009

Last Saturday we attended the commissioning and ordination of our three cadets of the PRAYER WARRIORS SESSION. They were Cadets Anthony Yong Heng Onn and his wife Lee Wai Chan and Kevin Meredith. We thank God for these three new Lieutenants.

Lieutenants Anthony Yong and Wai Chan will be leaving soon to take up their appointment as Corps Officers of Bintulu Corps. Lieutenant Kevin Meredith with his Burmese wife, Captain Sugunama will be leaving us to take up their appointment in Kevin's home territory Australia Southern. We pray God's richest blessing on these new officers.

We earnestly pray that God will touch the hearts of our young people that they will offer themselves for officership in The Salvation Army.

The call to officership - this must be paramount and the motive for our response to God's voice. For me, I can truthfully say - it was, and still is unmistakable and it this sense of calling that has kept me and my wife faithful all these years.

The call of God comes in different ways to different people. I heard no audible voice, no direct command, but that sense of need or awareness of a conviction was clear and unmistakable. Let's look at some examples in the Bible.

Abraham heard the call to leave his country, his relatives, his home to a land that God would show him. (Gen. 12: 1-2) Moses received that revelation in the burning bush (Exodus 3: 4) Joshua received a directed command after assisting Moses for many years. (Joshua 1: 1) Samuel heard that persistent voice calling out his name (1 Samuel 3: 10) The list can go on - Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Amos; all heard the voice of God telling them what to do. Jesus called His disciples "Follow me."

As I sat in the congregation, my mind went back to the day that I was called in 1949 at Youth Councils. It was a clear and unmistakable. Thank God for calling me and giving me fifty five years of ministry. It has all been by grace - amazing grace of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment