Friday, November 20, 2009

Brevity of life

We had our cell group this morning and as usual benefited from this fellowship. We learn a lot from each other. Daily I pray for these my good friends who have brought much blessing to me and my wife.

After lunch, we visited a family who had lost a loved one. The old man age 91 had a fall and passed away soon afterwords. To night is the wake, but we decided to visit them during the day to have a prayer with the Ho family. Captain Lim Chee Kwee will conduct the wake tonight and the funeral to-morrow.

I am reminded once again of the brevity of life and my thoughts turn to Psalm 90

No one really knows when Moses wrote this psalm. It may well have been written during the time the first generation of Israelites was dying in the wilderness. Moses had invested his life serving these people, and they had often stiffened their necks against God and rebelled. Knowing that the end of his days was near, and that this generation was dying off, Moses became painfully aware of the mortality of man. Men come and quickly go. Moses desired that God would impress him with the brevity of life, and that He would somehow prosper the work of his hands, that his lifetime of ministry would not be wasted.

My wife and I have lived beyond the three score years and ten. For us every day is a bonus. I end the this reflection with this prayer, "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90: 12

No comments:

Post a Comment