Saturday, July 4, 2009

Dora Poh Chin - God' special child

Normally on a Tuesday we are at Peacehaven to conduct chapel services. Now with the NIHI virus, activities are stopped for the time being. Of course, when we visit Peacehaven we also see our daughter, Dora Poh Chin who is a resident in the Home. Some people are not aware we have a second daughter who is seriously handicapped.

Poh Chin was born on 26th April 1969 when we were stationed in Kuala Lumpur. She arrived at a time when the country was very tense politically. In fact about two weeks after her birth racial riots broke out and the whole of Kuala Lumpur was under curfew. She was not a normal baby and we concluded that her condition was due to the tension at that time. Soon after that we received farewell orders to go to Ipoh Boys’ Home where things were very difficult. So we thought there were the factors that contributed to her condition.

In January 1970, we were appointed to take charge of the Singapore Central Corps. It was during this time that we were told by the paediatrician in a terse statement “Your child is mentally retarded.” He was a clever doctor, but perhaps lacking in tact and diplomacy. He could have shown a little more sensitivity which might lesson the pain for us. Anyway, soon after that Professor Freda Paul, a lovely Christian lady took over and she gave us a lot of encouragement and help. Through her efforts Central Corps had a very fruitful ministry at the Children’s ward at Singapore General Hospital.

We prayed for healing. We believed and still do, in divine healing, for this is scriptural. We prayed very hard. A very good friend of ours, Rev, Prabhu Das, pastor of the Tamil Methodist Church even brought a Divine healer to our quarters to pray, but nothing happened. We went in faith to a Divine healing service at St. Andrew’s Cathedral and the evangelist prayed very earnestly and fervently for divine healing. As he was praying, I had visions of bringing home, Poh Chin completely healed! But no, she remained the same - no change at all.

One dear lady, a Salvationist at our Corps, the one who recommended to us to the faith healer visited us during the week and said, “It is your lack of faith Major that prevents your daughter from being healed.” Momentarily we were thrown off balance and cried to the Lord for help and mercy. Talk about broken hearts – ours were completely broken. But our God heals broken hearts and that is divine healing.

We still do not know why God did not grant instantaneous healing, but we believe she brings healing to others. She makes us see human suffering in a different light. Certainly she brings a new note into our ministry resulting in healing to others.

I believe one day, our Poh Chin will be healed, and for this I am certain. We don’t know when this will be; only the Lord knows. Certainly we will meet her in heaven, completely healed. There is no mental retardation in heaven. We will hear from her for the first time, “Mummy, Daddy, I love you.” And we will respond, we love you too.

You see, our Poh Chin, although born in sin like all of us has not deliberately sinned. She has not consciously offended God or anyone. She is completely innocent. We look at a person’s actions and pass judgement, but the Lord looks at the heart. He is a gracious God.

She resides in Peacehaven Nursing Home and is very tenderly and lovingly looked after by the nurses, therapists and others involved in the welfare of the residents of the Home. At our age it is impossible for us to take care of her, but the Lord has wonderfully provided this facility. To God be the glory.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Comm Lim,

    Thank you for this honest sharing of your struggles and fears. We all have experiences when we have no clear answers from GOD. That doesn't mean He is any less diligent in loving us.

    I, too, have been praying for healing for my ears, one severely deaf and the other profoundly deaf. As a Christian who serves actively to support the Body of Christ, as one who constantly exhorts the brethren to love the LORD with all our heart, as one who spends deep moments seeking the LORD, I have unanswered questions to my own needs for healing. At times, my Sunday School students asked why I need to wear hearing aids. My own children have prayed along with me, and seen me minister the Word of GOD faithfully in life, but yet do not know why Daddy is still handicapped.

    I suspect my faith isn't as strong when it comes to believing upon the LORD to open my ears which have been deaf since young. I wanted to smash all my hearing aids, but lacked the courage as they are all so expensive & I saved hard over the years to buy them. I am full of faith in other areas though, such as believing upon the LORD to grant us children, when my wife had difficulty conceiving & we were labelled as an "impossible" case without advanced medical intervention. I rejected all medical intervention and turned to the LORD, and He gave us a beautiful child, followed by another 2 yrs on, and now a third on the way.

    It could be a matter of faith, as Jesus always says "Go, your faith has made you well" or a matter of healing as a process instead of instantaneously. I know GOD has not allowed my hearing to deteriorate as fast as it would have been in other cases. But I also believe, one day, the healing will come physically while I am still here on earth. It could be the day when the LORD says, throw away those hearing aids. I'm looking forward to that. I believe GOD wants me to experience His faithfulness in ever bigger ways, and in the process building up my faith even more.

    These days, GOD is using me to minister to the church as never before. He gave me a vision to guard the harvest, when others have brought them in. He gave me boldness to share the gospel with strangers and destitutes on the street. He gave me the courage to speak with self-proclaimed atheists and gays. GOD is taking me on a journey that's filled with excitement and building my faith in the process.

    I don't know when, but I know it will happen one day here. So, Comm Lim, continue to trust in the LORD. He's not done with us. He will continue to build us up, especially in areas where our faith is relatively weaker. At the right time, when our faith is as the centurion, I believe we will see the healing.

    If it's possible, I would like to visit Poh Chin. Has anyone shared the gospel with her?

    In His Love,
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete