Sunday, September 10, 2017

Trapped in a lift.

Eleven of us were waiting for the lift. It arrived and ten of us walked in. One lady decided to wait for the next lift. The lift door closed but then no movement. The group was silent. The someone cried out, “O dear, the lift is not working.” A few nurses were going to Bedok for a party. They all looked at their watches.

A few minutes passed in uncomfortable silence. Everyone was deep in panicked thoughts. Finally, someone said, "How?”. “ Let's just pry it open." “No, just press the alarm”  “Call Madam Low now, quick” She will fix it!
Claustrophobia kicked in. All eyes turned to me the oldest among the lot. They must have either expected me to faint, collapsed on the floor or even passed out. Or rise up and provide the answer to the plight. I don’t know!

After an uncomfortable fifteen minutes, we heard voices outside. “The engineers are coming, they should be here soon. Just keep still and wait.”
One of the nurses said, “O dear we’ll miss the party at Bedok! How?”
Someone else talked on her handphone "I'm trapped in a lift and it could be a while. I'll call you if I can when it's over."

Finally, we heard voices on the other side of the door. Then a voice yelled, "The lift people are here and they are going to get you out now — stand back!" Stand back?! How could we? Yet, people pushed backwards, I felt crushed. The doors smoothly opened. We were released from bondage!
This was the first time I ever got trapped in a lift.

Chorus came to my mind
Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith, on Heaven’s tableland,
A higher plane than I have found;
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment