Friday, September 1, 2017

My life in God's hands

The moment I am awake, I give thanks to God for giving us yet another day. Every evening before we sleep, my wife and I have our prayer time together.

We pray for our family - children, grandchildren and spouses and great grand children.

We mention names of our friends and commend them to God. We bring before the Lord those living alone. We think of a number of our friends with their spouses suffering from dementia and now living in Nursing Homes. Separation of happily married couples in their golden years must be painful. The list goes on.

We then commit ourselves to the Lord as we switch off the lights and go to sleep.

Gone are the days when I used to read a book before sleep. My eyesight is not as good so sleep is welcome. Last night in the darkness the song by Anna Waring came to mind. It is. It expresses her humility, and a willingness to fill a small and unheralded place of service, in the will of God.

1) Father, I know that all my life
Is portioned out for me,
And changes that are sure to come
I do not fear to see;
I ask Thee for a present mind
Intent on pleasing Thee.

2) I ask Thee for a thoughtful love,
Through constant watching wise,
To meet the glad with joyful smiles,
And wipe the weeping eyes;
A heart at leisure from itself,
To soothe and sympathize.”

3) I would not have the restless will
That hurries to and fro,
Seeking for some great thing to do
Or secret thing to know;
I would be treated as a child,
And guided where I go.

4) I ask Thee for the daily strength,
To none who ask denied,
A mind to blend with outward life
While keeping at Thy side
Content to fill a little place
If Thou be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment