Monday, January 2, 2017

Reflection on Covenant Sunday


On the first Sunday of the year, The Salvation Army in our territory observes Covenant Sunday. On this special day, I always made my way to the Mercy Seat or Altar to pray and renew my covenant. Since we got married in 1958 we have always done this together.

This year, Covenant Day fell on the first day of 2017. It has been a time of deep reflection as I look back on my pilgrim journey. Yes, I started young, just at the tender age of five when my elder siblings and I followed the Salvation Army contingent to their simple small hall at Balestier Road.  I did not know Christ then, but the influence and teaching of the officers and comrades helped me to understand the Bible and my faith. It has been a long journey of eight decades! As I knelt with my wife this song came to my mind "Have I ceased from walking close beside thee? Have I grieved thee with an ill-kept vow? In my heart of hearts have I denied thee? Speak dear Lord, O speak and tell me now." Yes, in life I have broken many promises, but thanks be to God He has enabled me to keep three special covenants intact.

As I prayed there came to my mind three very important covenants – first when I signed my “Articles of War” or “Soldier’s Covenant” at the Balestier Hall – an ‘atap’ or thatched roof hut, wooden walls, plain cement floor and no electricity. We used kerosene lamps to brighten the church for worship. That Covenant signed when I was a teenager is still intact, thanks be to God and support of fellow salvationists and friends.

I was at Youth Councils in 1949 when I felt the call to be an officer of the Salvation Army. At the conclusion of the meeting, I made my way to the Altar and offered myself to the Lord to be an officer. Unbeknown to me a young lady also made the same commitment. That lady was to become my wife in 1958. God called us at the same time in the same meeting, listening to the same messages, although we did not know each other then. We entered the Training College together in 1954 in the “Shepherds Session” Both of us signed our Covenant in the same meeting. That covenant by God’s grace is still intact.

June 7th 1958, the then Lieutenant Fong Pui Chan and I made our Marriage Covenant at 207 Clemenceau Avenue, Singapore and tied the marriage knot. Will the Lord allow us to live till 2018 to celebrate our Diamond Jubilee Wedding anniversary? This is for Him to decide. We are in His hands, the safest  place to be.

As I write,  this song by Will J Brand came to my mind and I want to share it with my readers.                            

When from sin's dark hold thy love had won me,
And its wounds thy tender hands had healed,
As thy blest commands were laid upon me,
Growing light my growing need revealed.
Thus I sought the path of consecration
When to thee, dear Lord, my vows were given;
And the joy which came with full salvation
Winged my feet and filled my heart with Heaven.

 Chorus
By the love that never ceased to hold me,
By the blood which thou didst shed for me,
While thy presence and thy power enfold me,
I renew my covenant with thee.

But my heart at times with care is crowded,
Oft I serve with weak, o'erladen hands,
And that early joy grows dim and clouded
As each day its heavy toll demands.
Have I ceased from walking close beside thee?
Have I grieved thee with an ill-kept vow?
In my heart of hearts have I denied thee
Speak, dear Lord, O speak and tell me now.


By the love that never ceased to hold me
In a bond nor life nor death shall break,
As thy presence and thy power enfold me,
I would plead fresh covenant to make.
From before thy face, each vow renewing,
Strong in heart, with purpose pure and deep,
I will go henceforth thy will pursuing,
With my Lord unbroken faith to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment