Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Power of Influence

The Power of influence

A pastor had been busy packing, preparing to move to another church. Finally he breathed a sigh of relief when he had packed the last box and said, “Thank God, now I’ve packed everything” A friend who had been helping him retorted, “No, you haven’t. You have left something behind.”

“O what is it? He queried.
“Your influence.”...was the response.

How true, we all leave our influence, good or bad behind us.
Some leave behind an influence that corrupts. It was said of Jeroboam that he “made Israel to sin.” What an epitaph to tag to a man in such a high position!


Dr. James Edwin Orr (1912-1987) a well-known Baptist minister, writer and composer of hymns during his visit to New Zealand overheard some Aborigine girls singing a Maori Song of Farewell.

This tune stuck in his memory and led him to compose the song based on Psalm 139:23-24 I pray this prayer daily asking the Lord to search my own heart, just in case I cause someone to sin.

Search Me, O God
Search me, O God, and know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin and set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy Word, and make me pure within.
Fill me with fire where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire to magnify Thy Name.

Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine.
Take all my will, my passion, self, and pride;
I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.

O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival,start the work in me.
Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now,O Lord, I humbly plead.

“Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24)

Some have an influence that cancels when we do not practise what we preach. Father and son live together in the same house – Dad a Doctor of Divinity and son a medical doctor. The telephone rang, and one of them responded “This is Dr… speaking”

The voice on the other side of the line then asked a question, “Are you the doctor who preaches or the one who practices” We all need to ask this question sometimes, “Am I the Christian who preaches, or the one who practises.” Let us practise what we preach.

May we all exude an influence that counts. Jesus tells us to be salt of the earth. Salt has tremendous influence. It adds to taste, it preserves from decay. It is a commodity we cannot do without.

Jesus tells us to be light in the world. Its influence in our world is great – it gives warmth, heat and illumination plus other functions.
Genuine Christians are like salt and light in our world. May the Lord enable us each one to be a reflex of His holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment