Monday, October 17, 2016

Saviour if my feet have faltered


 Charles Dickens many years ago wrote the following as the introduction to his book, “A Tale of Two Cities.” 

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity. It was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way.”

Our world has not changed much. We today still have to face life’s challenges – good times, bad times, happy times, sad times and at all times we need to focus our eyes upon Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.

“Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace”

A couple, good friends of ours from Perth Australia visited us recently. They attended our church service then came upstairs to our humble home to have a cup of tea with us. There was so much to talk about as we shared experiences. it was well past lunch time. When about to leave for the café nearby he requested that we should first sing Albert Orsborn’s song,

“Saviour if my feet have faltered by the pathway of the cross.”

We moved to the keyboard and four of us sang

Saviour, if my feet have faltered
On the pathway of the cross,
If my purposes have altered
Or my gold be mixed with dross,
O forbid me not thy service,
Keep me yet in thy employ.
Pass me through a sterner cleansing
If I may but give thee joy!

Chorus
All my work is for the Master,
He is all my heart's desire;
O that he may count me faithful
In the day that tries by fire!

Have I worked for hireling wages,
Or as one with vows to keep,
With a heart whose love engages
Life or death, to save the sheep?
All is known to thee, my Master,
All is known, and that is why
I can work and wait the verdict
Of thy kind but searching eye.

I must love thee, love must rule me,
Springing up and flowing forth
From a childlike heart within me,
Or my work is nothing worth.
Love with passion and with patience,
Love with principle and fire,
Love with heart and mind and utterance,
Serving Christ my one desire. Albert Orsborn

Albert Osborn went through a crisis period when he was a Divisional Commander. His growing Division was to be divided and he resented the decision from his leaders. He became rebellious and resentful. He was running after a bus, slipped and fell and injured his knee. He was taken to Highbury Nursing Home for officers. In an adjacent room some officers were singing in their prayer meeting,

“Nothing from His altar I would keep. To His cross of suffering I would leap.”

 He joined in the singing and yielded to the Holy Spirit and even wept. In these circumstances the song was born and it has blessed thousands through the passage of time.

Who among us have not at times faltered and fallen in the journey of life? Physically, i slipped and fell twice two years ago within the space of two months. Today, my wife and I both use walking sticks when we go out. We need more than walking sticks, we need to stretch our hands and hold on to Him who walks and talks with us on life’s journey. My prayer is

Hold Thou my hand; so weak I am, and helpless,
I dare not take one step without Thy aid;
Hold Thou my hand; for then, O loving Saviour,
No dread of ill shall make my soul afraid.
Frances Crosby

No comments:

Post a Comment